Saturday, April 19, 2008

Rewind to: Cabo or Bust!

Dominic's Daddy, Eddie, is a studly ocean yacht racer.  He goes on these long races from Newport Beach to Ensenada and has even raced twice from LA to Hawaii in the Transpac.  This year, he wanted to try something different, so he formed a crew of 9 to sail from Corona del Mar to Cabo San Lucas, a total of about 800 miles as the crow flies.

Well, it's just about always nice in Huntington Beach; nevertheless, a trip closer to the equator sounded like a plan to this lover of warm weather, so I (and the cupcake of course), Eddie's parents, sister and brother-in-law, and my parents all decided to make a vacation of it.  So here's the beginning of the pictoral history of our trip to Cabo.

Daddy left March 28. Here he is getting some goodbye cuddles that are going to have to last maybe a whole week!  
The morning of the race, a bunch of us met the crew at our yacht club to see them off.  From Eddie's family, present were his mom and stepdad, Cleo and Jim, his sister, Maryke, and his niece and nephew, Danielle and Christian. My mom, Martie, really wanted to be there with my dad, Johnny (aka Granddaddy) and Dominic and me, but she had to work... (thank God someone is!) Thanks Mom!


Here is the crew getting ready to set sail.  Left to right is Ross Nemeroff, Bill Boyd, Scott Atwood, Bill Cuppy, Eddie (aka Daddy), Rob Rice, John Rossbach, Robert Rice, and Linus Ralls.
Granddaddy was very generous to take us out to the starting line to watch from his powerboat, Rapid Fire.  Joining us were Mareen and Elisabeth Rossbach (wife and daughter of crewmember John Rossbach) as well as Karen and Christine Rice (wife/mother and daughter/sister of crewmembers Rob and Robert Rice).  Jim Masingill, Eddie's stepdad, served as Firstmate.

*****
Blogger is giving me fits.  Uploading pictures is a bit of a tug of war.  So I think I will sign off for this entry and pick up again later with more pictures of the departure to Cabo.  Better to give you a taste for now rather than add more and end up crashing it and losing everything.  It's midnight anyway, so I'd better cash it in.  With Dominic's teething, I may be up with him shortly.  

Thank you to those of you who come by this blog to check us out.  I'd love to hear from you (so I know I'm not writing into a black hole) so leave a comment or send me an email: maggie@powerofE.com. 


No comments: