Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Dah-deh-darnit!

Since the day after Mother's Day, Dominic has been saying the syllable "mah".  Eddie worked really hard to get him to say it by Mother's Day, and he missed it by just one day.  Since then, he says mah-mah-mah-mah as well as dah-dah-dah-dah.  But I haven't noticed that he sees a relationship between the sounds and the people.

Yesterday, Dominic put 2 different syllables together:  dah-deh!  And I think he might actually be beginning to put those sounds together to equate them with Daddy!  I joke that I'm jealous that "daddy" is his first word (thus the "darnit" in the post title), but the truth be told, I have been repeating "I love you, Daddy" and just "Daddy" specifically so Dominic would learn to say those words.  I don't know what he will choose to call me, but I think I like the sound of Mama more than Mommy, so it's fine with me if he sticks to the mah sound alone for my "name".

Other developments:

Yesterday, Daddy installed the baby gate at the top of the stairs.  Whew, one more babyproofing step we can check off the list!

Today, Dominic climbed up one stair.  We have 3 stairs from the dining room to the living room in our split-level home, and Dominic made it up the lowest stair and had his hands tightly grasping the living room floor-level stair when I couldn't take it any more and had to pick him up.  After the big stair climbing accomplishment, I didn't want the moment to end with an injury!

Another development that I _think_ I noticed before but feel sure about today is that he has developed some self-awareness about the state of his diaper.  Here's what I mean...

Dominic's "routine" (self-imposed) usually includes 2 naps: 10:30-12 and 3:30-5.  When he learned to stand up a few days ago, the naps were put on hold, seeing as he began to view the crib as a "stand-up station" rather than a BED FOR SLEEPING.  But as the days since then have unfolded, he has started to use EVERYTHING as stand-up assistance (including my leg when I'm trying to brush my teeth), so on the 14th, he returned (pretty much) to napping on schedule.

Well today, I nursed him to start the 3:30 nap winddown, but when I laid him dozing in the crib and left the room, I saw on the monitor that he immediately awoke and struggled, groggy, to a standing position.  So I went back in, cuddled him until he was dozing again, and put him back down.  Same story... 30 seconds later he was standing/crying.  I was starting to get frustrated, thinking that we were regressing back to no-napsville, when I realized he was carrying a load in his diaper!  Goodness gracious!

Once changed, he couldn't fall asleep fast enough.  I'm hoping this is a sign he will potty train easily.  Don't worry, I realize it's probably not.  Haha.

Here are some photos and movies to enjoy!

Here's Dominic wiped out after Huntington Beach's 4th of July parade (rumored to be the largest this side of the Mississippi River!)  Love the little Converse high tops!

On July 5, we met our friends, Saye and Brad, at Fashion Island for lunch.  Dominic enjoyed the pop-up water fountain there.

On July 6, Gram came over after church and helped Dominic practice his walking.  Later that day, we went to the concert behind HB's Central Park Library.  Dominic's favorite seemed to be the tympani in "The Battle Hymn of the Republic".




Here's a photo of the second time I caught Dominic standing up in his crib, which was July 9.  (The first time was 7/7.) Needless to say, we moved the crib mattress down that day.

This picture from July 10 shows how his seat attaches to the breakfast bar.  This was the first day he ate "big people" turkey.  I diced up a slice of deli turkey that I, too, had in my sandwich.

Here's Dominic, also on July 10, pushing his stroller around.  He pushed it and pushed it all over the dining and family rooms for probably upwards of an hour.  While he did do some straight lines (God help the walls and furniture), his favorite was going around and around in circles.  Made me dizzy just to watch.   He was very intent and rarely looked up during his important work.

No comments: